How to Find the Right Tires for Any Vehicle
April 10th, 2015
At The Tire Terminal in Mississauga, ON, we know that buying tires can be a confusing and intimidating process for a lot of people. There are a lot of options out there for tires for your vehicle, and we do occasionally hear people asking, “How can I tell what kind of tires my vehicle needs?”
Thing is, there’s no hard and fast answer for that, regardless of what vehicle you drive. It all depends on your driving style, your expectations and your personal preferences, so let’s break it down a little:
- All-Season Tires-- For the average drivers of cars, minivans, SUVs and crossovers, all-season tires are going to be just fine. All-season tires are designed to deliver traction and safe performance in a wide range of weather conditions, even including slush and light snow. All-season tires are quiet and smooth-riding, with stable, predictable handling.
- Touring and Grand Touring Tires-- As the name suggests, touring tires are ideal for vehicles that rack up a lot of interstate travel. They tend to offer low noise, straight-line stability and a very forgiving ride.
- Winter Tires-- If you live in an area with harsh winter weather, winter tires may make sense for you. They’re designed for traction in snow, slush and light ice, with a tread formulation that stays flexible at low temperatures. Some winter tires come pre-drilled to make it easy to install metal studs for extreme conditions. Winter tires should be changed, however, once temperatures consistently go above 40 degrees.
- Light Truck Tires-- There are lots of trucks and SUVs on the road these days, and light truck tires are purpose-built for those vehicles. That means they can easily handle heavy loads or towing and are good for limited off-pavement use, while still retaining car-like ride and low noise.
- Summer Tires-- As you might guess, summer tires are designed for warmer temperatures and generally deliver excellent handling and performance on wet or dry pavement.
- Performance Tires-- Aimed at really spirited drivers who like to push their cars to the limit, performance tires live up to the name with amazing handling and cornering ability...at the expense of ride comfort and tread life.
If you’ve still got questions about what kind of tires might be the best fit for your car, call or make an appointment with The Tire Terminal in Mississauga, ON. One of our experienced service advisors will be happy to meet with you and point you in the right direction!